Thursday, July 7, 2011

AND GOD SPOKE


As I searched for God the other morning, I heard Him speak. I know that always causes some feelings of angst amongst people. Some don't believe it, others wonder why it doesn't happen to them. I don't have all the answers, but I can share my experience. Maybe He'll speak to you through the words of this email.

I was looking through Scripture and stumbled across this verse, a message from God to His people through the prophet Isaiah...

For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts. (Isaiah 55: 9-10, ESV)


As I read, I wonder, "What are His thoughts? What is it that God thinks most about?"

So I look elsewhere in Scripture for the words, "Lord or God" and "thoughts." I find the Psalmist David reflecting on this same thing. He says...

How precious are your thoughts about me, O God. They cannot be numbered! I can’t even count them; they outnumber the grains of sand. And when I wake up, you are still with me! (Psalm 139: 17-18, NLT)

The next day, as I listen to a audio version of one of my favorite books, Steps to Christ, I hear...

"When men go forth to their daily toil, as when they engage in prayer; when they lie down at night, and when they rise in the morning; when the rich man feasts in his palace, or when the poor man gathers his children about the scanty board, each is tenderly watched by the heavenly Father. No tears are shed that God does not notice. There is no smile that He does not mark."

And I conclude what God is trying to tell me. He's trying to tell me that His thoughts are of me. He watches over me and every moment of my life because He greatly cares for me and what happens to me. That thought is not only endearing, it is what I needed to hear. I needed to hear about a higher power who loves me in a way that is deeper and more real than anything I can imagine. That His thoughts are with me and of me. That He is with me.

The good news is, His thoughts are not just of me but of ALL His children...those that know, love and serve Him and those that don't. Regardless of how we spend our days or the things we do, His thoughts are of us because we are His precious and dearly loved children.

I hope that truth can turn your attention to Him for a moment and that in that moment you would realize that He's been with you all along. Courage for the close of the quarter and the journey of the day!

No comments: