Thursday, August 12, 2010

Footsteps


Last week, I had the incredible privilege of spending a couple of days at the beach with my family.

I had some work to do to prepare for a convention I'm helping to plan for next year, but I took a break from that work to take a walk with the kids. We went off to the north side of the beach while the tide was down, and we went climbing and exploring. The algae on the rocks made them very slippery, and my daughter was scared she was going to fall. I was holding her hand, but it wasn’t enough. She wanted me to carry her. I told her something that seemed practical, but it’s implications were huge and didn’t hit me until she began following my direction.

So I told her, “Just step where I step, in my footprints, and you’ll be just fine.” She wasn’t sure at first, but the more she followed my footsteps the more confident she became.

The analogy is obvious. Jesus has gone ahead of us. Hebrews says,

“Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has gone through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet was without sin. Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.” Hebrews 4: 14-16

Jesus IS the Way because He has been there and done that. He has walked the road ahead of us and if we keep a close enough eye on Him and study His footsteps, we can walk even more confidently because we have someone to go to who went through it first. Jesus can empathize, He can listen, and He understands. He also promises us that if we could just stay close to Him and walk in His footprints, we’ll be okay. It may not be easy, but we’ll be okay.

Here’s to hoping and praying that this summer you and I can keep in step with the Savior, and as we follow closely after Him that we will learn to walk even more confidently all the Way Home!

No comments: