Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Belonging

The word, belong, is defined by Websters in the following ways: To be in the relation of a member. To have the proper qualifications, esp. social qualifications, to be a member of a group:

When I was seven years old, I played in little league. In fact, the picture in this email is of my actual jersey. I don’t know why I kept it, other than I loved being on that team. We were a good team of friends, and we had lots of fun. I can remember showing up in a sea of people, but I could pick out my team because we wore the same jesrsey. They were where I belonged. We played together, we enjoyed cream soda after the game together, and we had a great summer together. It feels so good to belong.

I thought about this last week when I woke up with a sense to look up Romans 14: 9. Here’s what it says, “For this very reason, Christ died and returned to life so that he might be the Lord of both the dead and the living.” You may ask the same question I did, “What reason?” Well, verse 8 says, “If we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord.” So read that in the correct order and you get the idea that Jesus came so that we might belong.

The book of Romans is full of this type of theme. We are all born with the same jersey filled with the stains of sin. We are all sinners (Romans 3: 23) and we are all justified freely by His grace (Romans 3: 24). Romans 8: 16-17 says that we are all children of God and because of that we are all “heirs of God and co-hears with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory.” Romans 10: 12 says that “there is no difference between Jew and Gentile – the same Lord is LORD OF ALL and richly blesses ALL who call on him…”

So it seems to me that sin gave us one jersey, but Jesus came and lived and died that we might have another (Isaiah 61: 10); that we might belong to Him. He left the perfection of heaven, that we might belong. He was born in a manger, that we might belong. He became familiar with hunger, suffering, pain, that we might belong. He wrestled with the powers of darkness that marred Him beyond human likeness (Isaiah 53) that we might belong. And He rose from the grave and conquered sin and death, that we might belong.

You and I belong to Him that died for that very reason. And because we belong, we can join our hands as brothers and sisters and Christ. We can encourage one another when we stumble and fall because we all know what that’s like. We can pray for one another in any hardship because we’ve all had hardships. We can rejoice with one another when the blessings flow because we all have had the blessings flow.

So let us join our hands together, and with our hands our hearts, and let us seek the one who made it possible for us to belong to the Kingdom of Light, of Love, of Mercy, and of Grace. Amen!

No comments: